How do I create a Standard rubric in Turnitin?
You will lean how to create a Standard rubric to use in the Turnitin assignment in your course.
This guide has been updated for TITANium 2019-2020.
1. Create a scorecard.
Before you use the rubric function in Turnitin, you should create a scorecard or similar rubric as shown below. Rubric scorecards can be used to evaluate student work based on defined criteria and scales.
2. Click on the title link for your Turnitin assignment.
After you have created your Turnitin Assignment in TITANium, click on the title hyperlink on the course main page.
3. Click on the Settings tab.
4. Click on Optional settings.
5. Tick Attach a rubric.
6. Click on Launch Rubric Manager.
Tip: If you already have a rubric in Turnitin, you can use the dropdown menu to select a rubric.
7. The Rubric Manager will open in a new window.
8. Click on the Rubric Manager Menu.
9. Click on Create new rubric.
10. Type a name for your rubric.
11. Click on each 'Scale' to change the name of the scale.
Following the sample scoreboard rubric shown in Step 1, click the first scale and type "Capstone" in the text box. Continue across renaming each of the scales.
12. Type a numerical value for each scale.
Click on the "0" to the right of Capstone and type a value for that scale. Now, type a value for each of the other scales. Create a consecutive series of numbers like 4, 3, 2, 1 as scale values.
13. Click on the "+" sign at the end of the scale to add a new scale.
Tip: Keep your scale to a manageable number.
14. Click on each 'Criterion' to change the criterion name.
Following the example scorecard in Step 1, click the first criterion and type "Explanation" in the text box. Continue renaming the remaining criteria.
15. Click on the percentage number next to the criterion to enter the weight for that criterion.
Work out the weight distribution for each criteria which should total 100%. You will receive an error message if the weight does not equal 100%.
16. Click on the "+" sign next to "CRITERIA" to add a new criterion.
Continue to add all of the criteria you will need.
17. Type a detailed and measurable criterion description for each performance level.
Click inside the matrix square to type a detailed and measurable criterion description for each performance level.
For example, for the first criterion which we named "Explanation" and the first scale called "Capstone", type the following description taken from our scorecard as shown in Step 1: "Issue/problem to be considered critically is stated clearly and described comprehensively, delivering all relevant information necessary for full understanding."
Now, enter the descriptions for all of the remaining scales and criteria.
18. Your complete rubric should look like this.
19. Click on SAVE.
Click on the SAVE button at the bottom right corner of your Rubric Manager window to save the rubric.
Your rubric is now available for any existing or new Turnitin assignments in any of your courses.
20. The rubric now appears in the dropdown list.
21. Tick the box to make these settings your new default.
22. Click on Submit.
You have now learned how to create a Standard rubric using the Rubric Manager within a Turnitin assignment.