How do I use the Optional Settings in a Turnitin assignment?
After you have created a Turnitin assignment in TITANium, follow these steps to utilize the Optional settings.
1. Click on the title link for your Turnitin assignment.
2. Click on the Settings tab.
3. Click on Optional settings.
4. Allow late submissions option
This setting will determine whether students can still submit a document file after the deadline. The default is No.
5. Compare submitted papers against the following sources: option
Choose which sources you want the student's paper to be compared with: Student paper repository, Current and archived web site content, and Periodicals, journals and publications are selected by default. Only Institution student paper repository is not selected by default.
6. Originality Report generation and resubmissions options
- Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are not allowed) is the default selection. This option creates the Originality Report immediately upon the student's submission, and does not allow the student to resubmit.
- Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until the due date) option allows the student to resubmit. The Originality Report is generated immediately for the initial submission. Students may resubmit until the due date but subsequent submissions will take 24 hour before a report is generated. Only the latest Report is available for students and faculty. Previous versions are removed once the student resubmits. This option can be useful if used in conjunction with allowing students to view the Originality Report as mentioned in Step 10 of this tutorial. Please NOTE: No Late Submissions (past DUE DATE) are allowed with this option.
- Generate reports on due date (resubmissions are allow until due date). This choice allows students to resubmit but only creates an Originality Report on the Due Date. Please NOTE: No Late Submissions (past DUE DATE) are allowed with this option.
7. Exclude bibliography materials from Similarity Index option
The default setting is No. Choosing Yes will lower the Originality Report score for each student, because their bibliographies which may have a lot of similar text, will not be counted in the report.
8. Exclude quoted materials option
The default is No. Choosing Yes will lower the Originality Report score.
9. Exclude small matches options
The default is No. Choosing Yes will expand this section to allow you to choose either to exclude words or percentage, along with choosing the number of words which strung together should be ignored in the report. This will lower the score of the Originality Report.
10. Allow students to view Originality Report option
The default is No. Choosing Yes will allow students to see the report for their own paper. If students are to learn from the Originality Report, then Step 6 should be set to the second option Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until due date).
11. Submissions to this assignment will be stored in: option
The default is to store papers in the Standard paper repository. Choosing the second option, Do not store the submitted papers, will allow students to resubmit the same paper without it matching their first submission in a different assignment or course.
12. Add PeerMark assignments option
The default is No. Choosing Yes will change the nature of this assignment. It will become a peer assessment/evaluation assignment where students are assigned one or more papers to review and answer questions about. You will need to make a second Turnitin assignment if you want to later collect a final version of the paper.
13. Attach a rubric to this assignment option
To create a rubric within Turnitin, click on Launch Rubric Manager. After one or more rubrics have been created, you can use the drop-down list to choose one for this assignment.
14. Enable grammar checking using ETS e-rater technology? option
The default is No. Choosing Yes will expand the section.
15. Enable grammar checking using ETS e-rater technology? expanded section options
The expanded e-rater section allows you to choose a grammar expectation level: Advanced, High School, Middle School, Elementary, and English Learners are the choices from top to bottom. Next, choose which English dictionary to use: US, UK or both. Finally, choose the categories to be evaluated: Spelling, Grammar, Usage, Mechanics, and Style.
16. Would you like to save these options as your defaults for future assignments? option
The default is No. Choosing Yes will make these settings come up for each new Turnitin assignment you create for your courses.
17. Click on the Submit button.
You have now learned how to use the Optional settings within a Turnitin assignment.