How do I use weighted mean of grades with "Natural" aggregation?
You will learn how to use weighted mean of grades aggregation with the "Natural" or default aggregation method within the gradebook in your course.
1. View your syllabus grade structure.
2. Click on Grades.
3. The Grader report will display.
The Grader report page displays as the default entry point into the gradebook for instructors. The Grader report page is similar to a spreadsheet showing all of the student names and the Grade items for your course. Students will only see the User report page which shows only their own grades.
There are several functions you can perform within the Grader report page. You can enter student grades in existing grade items, you can view the student grades at a glance, and you can easily navigate to other pages within the Grade administration module.
4. Click on Setup to expand that section.
5. Click on Categories and items.
6. The Categories and items page displays.
The Categories and items page is where you add and organize Grade items and Categories (folders of Grade items). You can also create custom calculations and choose various methods of aggregating grade items.
7. Here is the Categories and items page with the Grade items added.
The Natural aggregation method is the default for TITANium. This means that the grade items are summed up to reach the course total. However, we can also use the Natural aggregation method to create a weighted mean of grades aggregation.
8. Note the Weights column.
9. Tick the check box and type the desired weight.
Now, repeat that action with the rest of the grade items.
10. When finished, click on Save changes.
11. Click on User report.
12. Choose a student from the drop down menu.
13. The User report displays the student's view of the gradebook.
Looking at the Calculated weight column, we see the same weights that were created in the Categories and items page.
You have now learned how to use the Natural (default) aggregation method to create weighted mean of grades aggregation.