How do I create a Grade item which deducts points?
You will learn how to create a grade item which deducts points from a given category which will affect the Course total for the students. For example, some instructors like to deduct points for attendance or tardiness or a late submission.
Follow these steps to add a Grade item which deducts points rather than adding points to a student's score. Read this article to learn how to create a basic gradebook.
Note: This is a rather complex process, so you may want to consult with the Online Education and Training department for assistance or to verify that you have set up your gradebook correctly.
1. View your syllabus.
3. The Grader report page displays all of the Grade items and student names.
The Grader report page displays as the default entry point into the gradebook for instructors. The Grader report page is similar to a spreadsheet showing all of the student names and the Grade items for your course. Students will only see the User report page which shows only their own grades.
4. Click on Setup.
6. The Categories and items page will display.
The Categories and items page is where you add and organize Grade items and Categories (folders of Grade items). You can also create custom calculations and choose various methods of aggregating Grade items.
There are some requirements involved in creating a grade item that can deduct points:
- That grade item must be in a category within the gradebook which uses a customized sum formula (for example: =sum([],[],[],[]) ) to add the grade items
- The chosen category must have no more than 8 grade items
- The chosen category must have at least an equal number of points as the grade item which can deduct points
- The chosen category cannot have any special conditions, like extra credit, drop the lowest, etc.
7. Organize the gradebook into sub-categories.
7.2. Type a name for the category.
7.4. Click on Edit.
7.5. Click on Edit settings.
7.9. Click on the up down arrow to move the Extra Credit Chapter Summary Quick Review sheet grade item.
The Extra Credit grade item needs to be moved into the Extra Credit category.
7.11. The extra credit grade item is now in the Extra Credit category.
Note: that the extra credit symbol has been removed from the grade item but is now applied to the category instead of the grade item.
7.15. Tick the check boxes for the remaining grade items.
7.17. There are now two categories of grade items.
7.24. The categories are now organized.
8. The custom formula/calculation needs to be written.
8.1. Click on Edit for the category total.
8.2. Click on Edit calculation.
8.3. Type ID numbers for the grade items in this category.
8.8. Note that the category now has a calculation icon.
9. Enter the grades in the Grader report.
9.2. The Grader report now displays as it was reorganized.
9.3. Click on the cell in the Attendance/Tardiness column to enter a grade.
9.4. Note that the category total and the Course totals are both affected by the grade entered.
Note that the Attendance/Tardiness grade column numbers are in red on this spreadsheet indicating that they are negative.
You have now learned how to create a grade item which can deduct points.