How do I add a Workshop activity?
You will learn how to add a Workshop activity in your course in TITANium. With the Workshop activity module, you can have students submit text or files for peer review (including grading and comments), according to a rubric you upload. Students receive two grades in the gradebook (a grade for submitting and a grade for how the reviewers rated their submission).
Follow these steps to create a Workshop activity where students submit a paper (Word document), are assigned two papers to assess, and are in return assessed by two other students as a useful step in the writing revision process before submitting a final draft of their paper to you, the instructor.
1. Enter your course.
2. Turn editing on.
Click the Turn editing on link within the ADMINISTRATION block or click on the Turn editing on button at the top right-corner of the course main page.
3. Click on Add an activity or resource .
4. Select Workshop.
5. Click on Add.
6. Type a Workshop name and Description.
7. Expand Grading settings and select Accumulative grading.
Accumulative grading will allow the reviewers to assign a grade value to the student's submission.
8. Select a grade for submission and a grade for assessment.
The Grade for submission will be decided by the average of the two students doing the peer assessment for the student.
The Grade for assessment is automatically awarded when a student uploads a submission. However, you may override this grade for sub-par work.
9. Type Instructions for submission.
10. Select a Maximum number of file uploads.
11. Select a maximum file size.
12. Decide whether to Allow submissions after the deadline.
Any submissions added after the deadline will require you to manually assign reviewers and reviewees for that student.
13. Type Instructions for assessment.
14. Select Enabled and optional for Overall feedback mode.
Expand the Feedback section and select Enabled and optional for Overall feedback mode.
15. Type a Conclusion.
16. Select open and submission deadline.
Expand the Availability section and select the dates for students to submit.
17. Check to Switch to the next phase after the submissions deadline.
The Workshop activity module has several "phases". Some can be automatically changed by date (such as below); others must be manually changed.
18. Select dates for the opening and the deadline for assessment.
19. Click on Save and display.
20. The Phases of the Workshop activity are now displayed.
The initial Setup phase is complete.
21. Click on Set up scheduled allocation.
22. Select 2 reviews per submission.
Expand the Allocation settings section and select 2 reviews per submission.
23. Click on Save changes.
24. Click on Continue.
25. In the breadcrumb click on the title of the Workshop activity.
26. Click on Edit assessment form.
27. Type a Description for each Aspect.
In this sample rubric, there are 6 Aspects.
28. Type the Maximum points for each Aspect.
29. Click on Save and close when finished.
You should preview the rubric to make sure it looks the way you want it to.
30. Click on the light bulb by Submission phase.
31. Click on Continue.
32. The Submission phase is now active.
You have now learned how to add a Workshop activity to your course for peer assessment.