How do I link to my VitalSource eTextbook with my course?
You will learn how to use the External tool to create a link for your students to view the Titan Direct Access (also called VitalSource) eTextbook you have selected for your course.
Follow these steps to add a link to the course etextbook.
This process has recently been simplified. The vbid code is no longer necessary unless you have a custom-named course. Follow these steps if you have a custom-named course.
1. Enter your course in TITANium.
2. Click on the Gear icon.
3. Click on Turn editing on.
The Gear menu reveals the following links: Edit settings, Turn editing on, Filters, Gradebook setup, Outcomes, Backup, Restore, Import, Recycle bin, Reset, and More...
4. Click on Add activity or resource
5. Select External tool.
6. Click on Add.
7. Type a title for the link.
8. Select 'VitalSource' from the drop down list.
9. Select New Window under Launch container.
10. Select None for grade Type.
Note: The External tool will create a gradebook column for this item. However, select None if you do not want points in the gradebook to be associated with this External tool. If you do want a gradebook column with points, select Scale or Point accordingly. Then, type a value for the maximum grade.
11. Click on Save and return to course.
12. The External tool has created a link on your course main page.
13. When students click on the link, a new window will open and the student will be able to view the eTextbook for this course.
You have now learned how to use the External tool in TITANium to create a link to your eTextbook for your students.
Remember, this process will need to be completed for each section of the course you teach. And, it will need to be repeated every new term.