How do I set up a Q and A forum?
You will learn how to set up a Q and A forum type in your course in TITANium. This forum type requires the instructor to post a prompt, then students can reply to the prompt. Students cannot see other replies until 30 minutes after their own post has been made.
In this sample forum, groups are used.
If you have already created a forum, skip to Step 9.
1. Enter your course in TITANium.
2. Click on Turn editing on.
3. Scroll down to the Topic section where you want to place the new forum.
4. Click on Add an activity or resource
5. Select Forum.
6. Click on Add.
7. Type a title.
8. Type a description.
9. Select Q and A forum from the dropdown list.
Read this guide to learn about the 5 forum types.
10. Click to view the Common module settings section.
11. Select Separate groups for Group mode.
In this sample forum, groups are desired. However, if you do not want to use groups, leave this on the default of No groups.
Visible groups allows students to work in a group but also see what other groups are doing.
Separate groups allows students to work in a group and not see what other groups are doing.
12. Select the appropriate Grouping.
In this sample, a Grouping was made to be used with a specific set of groups. If you are using only one set of groups in your course, then a grouping is usually not needed.
13. Add a restrict assess for this Grouping only.
This Restrict access setting is only useful if you have either multiple sets of groups or have some students not assigned to a group.
14. Click on Save and display.
15. The Forum now displays.
16. Click on Add a new question.
This forum type will not be useable until you make a post to this forum. The students can then reply to your post. Students cannot make the initial post.
17. Type a Subject and a message
18. Check the box to post a copy to all groups
If the forum is set up for groups, you MUST either check this box so that your post is replicated within each group or you must create a separate post for each group.
19. Or, select the individual group which should receive the post
Use this option when creating a post intended for only one group.
20. Click on Post to forum
21. Since I selected to post to each group, there is a copy of my post within each group
You have now learned how to set up a Q and A forum type for your students in TITANium.